Sunday, November 08, 2009

The xx - Islands

The first thing I noticed about this band is that they're really really young. They look somewhere between sixteen and nineteen. I watched a video of one of their performances, and it's painfully evident that at this point they have the stage presence of oak trees. But who cares! I'M SURE IT'S JUST A PHASE.

This album is a really great debut. There's a lot of white space in their sound, like Spoon with an added female vocalist. The songs are short, catchy, and have yet to get old despite repeated listens. The lyrics are a bit corny at times, but that's understandable. Go back and read your high school diary. Cringe city, amirite?

Thanks Dave for pointing this band out. Finding fun new bands can be challenging, like sifting through brackish water for nuggets of gold 150 years after the Gold Rush ended. The bands are out there. We must never give up hope. *sniffle*

No comments: