Sunday, December 20, 2009

Grizzly Bear - Cheerleader

This is one of my favorite times of the year. School's out for two weeks, and along with all the usual holiday goodness of reacquainting myself with half the airports in the country, spending ridiculous amounts of time in rental cars, and trying to cram a year's worth of qt with family and friends into three day chunks, it's also fun to look at all the year-end music lists. As much as I try to keep up with new music, it is completely impossible to hear it all. Now that I have a little time off, I can check out a few of the albums I missed.

I couldn't really get into this band's first album. Granted I didn't try that hard, but it just seemed so sparse that at times it didn't even seem to be there at all. This album, however, is really good. This song is groovy from the get-go, and the languorous vocals add to the dreamy vibe. The vocal melody that kicks in at 1:25 is so great.

2 NOTES: I'm not happy with the fact that the first two seconds of this song are cut off in this Youtube! It might not seem like a big deal, but it's a damn good two seconds! Also, I know this is a music blog, but I'm so excited to (hopefully) read two books for pleasure over break! I'm reading Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil to get pumped for my Savannah excursion, and then I want to try to squeeze in The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. Somehow I also have to read 140 portfolio letters, a few portfolio pieces, and re-read MacBeth in that time too. Anything is possible! Happy Holidays and enjoy your loved ones. They're good people.

No comments: