I first heard this Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (best name ever) song sans music video, and I fell in love instantly. I was driving and blaring it in my car, and I instantly started bobbing back and forth all cool like an '80s keyboard players. I was sure that once I did see the clip, it would completely live up to the coolness of this song. Well, it did and it didn't. I'm not sure why they're separated by chain link partitions. Perhaps there are some federal regulations concerning the proximity of highly radioactive new wave awesomeness. The lead singer is so great, with his suit and Charades interpretations of the lyrics. When your video budget allows for an abandoned warehouse and a disassembled fence, all you really have are gesticulations and attitude.
The synth guy almost has the ultra-cool keyboard sway down. He's a little too herky-jerky to truly embody the detached, I'd rather be f*cking a supermodel look. He should have watched Nick Rhodes of Duran Duran for some tips. It's debatable whether Rhodes was actually a better keyboardist, but damn could he sway. I've posted "The Reflex," a criminally underrated Duran Duran track, as evidence of Rhodes' impeccable sway. The first glimpse is at 0:15.
It's kind of interesting to juxtapose OMD and Duran Duran. You see, OMD couldn't afford the fake wave that at 3:04 drenches the entire Duran Duran crowd caught in the rapture of Simon LeBon's completely unrealistic stage jumps and upon-closer-inspection-quite-mediocre dance moves. It really ends up looking more like a Sprite commercial than anything else, but the chorus is massive. And sweet fancy Moses does Andy Taylor, their guitarist, have a fierce mullet. Only in the '80s could a supposedly fashionable band like Duran Duran have a monstrosity like that in their music video.
No comments:
Post a Comment