Sunday, September 12, 2010

Belle and Sebastian - Stars of Track of Field/Act of the Apostle/Lazy Line Painter Jane/Piazza New York Catcher

There's this really stupid game on my iPhone that I can't stop playing. It's called Bejeweled Blitz, and it involves lining up these jewels in rows or columns of at least three. Four causes a huge explosion, and five (really exciting) creates this whirling dervish that shoots out lightning and eviscerates every jewel of a chosen color. Sounds like a genocide, now that I think about it. Anyway, as incredible as this game may sound, it gets really monotonous after a while. BUT STILL I PLAY.

Yesterday I didn't bring my laptop to the cafe, so that I wouldn't get distracted from grading. The thing is, grading essays gets so mind-crushingly tedious after a short while, I need something to do for a break. And so I turn to Bejeweled. I think I just need to erase the application and move on with my life.

Grading essays. I love so much about teaching, but I sometimes fear they will be the death of me. As I stare down the barrel of more essays on this beautiful Sunday morning, I need music to take me to a happy place. Ok, so this first Belle and Sebastian song isn't really happy, but I worship it. I love how the instruments come in one by one, and Stuart Murdoch is such a great songwriter. At 2:14, when the organ comes in and he sings, "Can I write a requiem for you when you're dead?" So great.

Ok, so that wasn't a happy song at all. Act of the Apostle is slightly happier, and so beautiful. It's from their most recent album, which is really poppy and really good. Finally, there's Lazy Line Painter Jane. Mr. Murdoch often writes from the point of view of women, but he seems to pull it off. All the girls I know who know Belle and Sebastian love them.

Oh, man, I gotta break my rule again and post a fourth Youtube. I forgot to write about another interesting tidbit about this group. This twee band of pasty Scotts is obsessed with the New York Mets, just like I am! Somehow they continue to write happy songs despite following this team. They go to spring training and watch games, and they even wrote a song about the Mets. There was a rumor that Mets catcher Mike Piazza was gay, and for some reason the media became obsessed with it. The song is partially about that, and partially about a baseball game in San Francisco. It even mentions Chinatown, where I used to live. Creepy! I think I'm being stalked by Belle and Sebastian. Hmmm. That's kinda cool, now that I think about it. (NOTE: I didn't even post one song from Tigermilk, which is an amazing album, but this band has about a million great songs, so ya know).







No comments: