Friday, May 20, 2011

tUnE-yArDs-Bizness

The enjoyment I derive from watching Olympic track & field races is inversely related to the length of the race. If I gotta watch some dudes run in a circle seventy-five times, and wait a seemingly interminable amount of time just to see the wolfpack separate in the last lap, then count me out. I'm good for somewhere between sixty and four hundred meters, and after that I'd rather take my chances on a horse biffing into the water in equestrian. Does this mean I have the attention span of a horsefly? I don't know, but I gotta make my move on Words With Friends. Be right back.

Next week is the last week of the school year, and I feel like I'm at the end of one of those really long races. The part where I've been running for so long I can't even remember when the race began, and all of a sudden I'm like "Oh, ****! There's only one lap left!" So I break into an awkward sprint for the finish line, jostling for position and half breathing, half dry-heaving. I know I'll make it-I always do-but there's always that thought in the back of my head. What if I clip the last hurdle, face-planting into the hard surface while everyone whizzes by and I pound my loser fists onto the track? What if I tear my Achilles seven strides from the finish, and I have to hop across the finish line with everyone pity-clapping and secretly thinking, "Woah. Sucks to be him!"

One of the ways to push these negative thoughts out of my mind is to occasionally blare music into my cranium. And right now I am really enjoying blaring this particular song, and watching this great video. The kids in the beginning are freaking awesome, and I feel a certain kinship with all the adults making those crazy faces in the second section. I, too, feel the compulsion to make bizarre faces on occasion. I don't, on the other hand, decorate myself with white board markers and indulge in slow motion interpretive dance. But hey. Sweet video.

No comments: