The most succinct definition of hipster I found on urbandictionary.com reads as follows:"One who possesses tastes, social attitudes, and opinions deemed cool by the cool. (Note: it is no longer recommended that one use the term "cool"; a Hipster would instead say "deck.") The Hipster walks among the masses in daily life but is not a part of them and shuns or reduces to kitsch anything held dear by the mainstream. A Hipster ideally possesses no more than 2% body fat."
Uh, what the hell is "deck"? Oh well. I don't think I ever had a hipster card to lose in the first place. Anyway, I would add that oftentimes hipster culture involves incorporating certain trends that originated in the past, often in the 70s or 80s. There's even a funny site called Dads Are the Original Hipsters that takes hipsters to task for appropriating trends that their dads made cool.
Music of course is always a huge part of these scenes, and there are some bands whose music could easily end up on that site. I would argue, however, that you can tell when a band is simply aping the sound of the 70s and 80s for no real reason, as the song beneath the nostalgic facade is usually garbage. But when there's a solid foundation, and the production simply serves the song, then it can be successful.
"Chinatown" by Destroyer and "One Evening" by Feist both do a solid job of incorporating smooth 80s sounds into their song, but there's also a good song there, so it works. They also both have solid, diverse catalogues, so their albums transcend any 80s revival gimmicks. Both "Arthur's Theme" by Christopher Cross and "Self Control" by Laura Branigan are great 80s hits, and pay special attention to the amazing Branigan video. There's a man making love to a cello at 2:47, and the scene at 3:24 with the hands desperately grabbing at a terrified Branigan is a crushing metaphor for something, but I'm still trying to figure it out. Feel free to leave a comment if you can decipher it.
No comments:
Post a Comment