I used to be a bad driver. Like, uhhh... really bad. What can I say? I was young, and I was probably driving cars I shouldn't have been driving. But nowadays, I try to be fairly aware and respectful of other people on the road. And, seeing as I just passed my ten year mark of living in San Francisco, I think I have a large enough sample size from which to draw the conclusion that CALIFORNIA DRIVERS ARE AWFUL.
Now the only other two places I've had extended exposure to other people's driving were in New York and Florida, and in NY I wasn't even driving myself. But, man, while there might be a lot of old people in Florida, people out here are just worse than anything I've ever seen. There's even a really meticulous website a guy made about all the crap that California drivers pull. It's surprisingly well done. Here are some of the things that reeeeeallly annoy me:
- Hi! I'm Completely-Unaware-And-Not-Giving-A-****-About-Anyone-Else-On-The-Road Driver #1! I'm seventy-three years old, and all I've got going on today is a game of bridge and an appointment at the urologist. And let me tell you, I'm in no hurry to get to the urologist! So I'm gonna go twenty-eight in a forty in the left lane of a two lane road, just for kicks! There's no turning lane, and I have no frikkin' idea where my left-hand turn signal is, but oh well! Surely no one behind me is in any sort of rush either. I'll just let them all screech their brakes as I suddenly realize that Dr. Rosenblatt's office is... RIGHT HERE! Quit hitting me, Erma! I know I gotta turn!
- Hi! I'm Completely-Unaware-And-Not-Giving-A-****-About-Anyone-Else-On-The-Road Driver #2! I'm making a left turn, and someone opposite me is waiting to go straight. If I go straight, everything will be hunky dory! Instead, I'm gonna change my mind right as I hit the gas, and think that turning my signal on mid-turn is gonna somehow prevent the other driver from plowing straight into me! I rule!
- Hi! I'm Twenty-Two-Year-Old Aggro Dude In A Souped-Up Tercel! I lose at pretty much everything in life, so I'm gonna win on the road by going 25 miles over the speed limit, weaving in and out of traffic, and not even doing it well! (New York drivers sometimes do this, but at least they kind of know how to drive!) Sure, I'm endangering the lives of everyone around me, but I feel like a total bad *ss blaring Nickelback and pwning 19th Avenue. Check me out!
- Hi! I'm Gonna-Put-The-Aggressive-In-Passive-Agressive-Suburban-Soccer-Mom-Driving-A-Honda-Odyssey-Like-It's-A-Testarossa! I like to tailgate people and gesticulate wildly for no real reason. If you DARE get in my way, you'll be sorry. Timmy'sgottabeatkarateat4:30andKaitlyn'sgottabeatsoccerat5:30andomgdidIleavethericekrispietreatsathomewhatwilltheothermomsthinkARRRRRGHHHHGetoutofmywaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy!!!!!!!!!
So The xx have a new album! It's an interesting one, in that it took a lot of listens to kinda worm its way into my head. At this point it's really starting to grow on me. It's slow-paced, but definitely not boring. For one thing, I really think the dude's vocals have improved since the first album. Below are three of my favorites so far, including a great live version of "Sunset."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment