Monday, July 13, 2009

Intro

I've had sputtering starts to various blogs in the past few years, and I've come to the realization that there's only one topic that I'm consistently maniacal enough about to sustain a blog. That, of course, is music. Most bloggers share their thoughts on albums, and while that's probably the way to go, the way the artist intended their work to be enjoyed, etc. etc., there are a few reasons why I'm simply going to share my thoughts on specific songs:

1) I don't really have the attention span to wait for entire albums to upload so I can share them with you.

2) Sometimes I get stuck on chunks of an album, and so I'm really more of an authority on 1/2 to 2/3 of the album than on the complete thing.

3) The more I talk to my students about the way they listen to music "these days," I'm slowly coming to the realization that none of them give a sh*t about albums. It's really sad, b/c I'm sure artists now just load an album with two to three "hot singles" and throw a load of dreck on there with it, knowing that with the way music is distributed and consumed these days the rest of the album is probably pretty close to irrelevant. I'm by no means subscribing to this theory, but I just wasted your time reading this paragraph.

4) Some songs just OWN me for extended periods of time, and I'd rather write about one unit that I am completely and utterly devoted to for the rest of my existence, then talk about a unit that I am 12/14th devoted to for the rest of my existence. I'm not really writing this as a review site so much as random song worship.

One important note: I really want to improve the appearance of this site, and I will as I go on, but right now I don't know much so it's a work in progress. I just know if I don't start writing this while I'm in the mood and it's summer I'll never do it!

One more important note: I am not a musician, so the comments on this site will be a lot closer to, "This sounds cool!" than, "the off-kilter syncopation of the rhythms created by the drummer playing in 7/8 time harkens back to strudeldarf's early catalogue."

Ok, enough blathering, on to the music!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think a review of Tebucky Jones' complete catalog is in order.
Snark away!

Shane said...

I think there might be a conflict of interest there, considering I'm your #1 groupie.

tinkytonk said...

Making it look good is easy, but I was not inclined to do so for my own Blogger.

Shane said...

Well, I at least want it to make sense and be readable in terms of the layout, but I'm not even there yet. Baby steps!

Unknown said...

I feel like such a philistine: I don't know any of these bands! Maybe I'll get more educated, and cool, reading your blog, but if not, it's still fun. How DO you have time for this???

Shane said...

Well, at some point I can guarantee I'll put Jaques Brel, France Gall, and Serge Gainsbourg in here, and then you'll recognize at least those. :)

I dunno, I've been wasting time obsessing on music for quite some time now. I think I've got it down to a science.

Tammie said...

Obsessing about music? Nothing wrong with that! Looking forward to learning a thing or two from you.

Shane said...

Thanks, Tammie. :) Your blog looks really great!