Thursday, July 16, 2009

Marissa Nadler - Diamond Heart

So, ole Marissa's voice gets a bit wispy for my taste sometimes, but this song is a killer. I love the chord change at :30, when she sings, "But I look for you, in the diamond trees • And the highway divine, deliver me • Your father died a month ago • And he scattered his ashes in the snow." Dark subject matter, but the mood set by her voice and the acoustic guitar makes it work. The line, "I had a man in every town, but thought of you each time I tore off my gown," just punches you in the face. The emotion she conveys comes across as a bit more nuanced than most "sad songs" I've heard. She's transcended Jewel, if just for this fleeting moment. The mandolin (?) that comes in in the background is a nice touch. Beautiful song.

3 comments:

Joe Meredith said...

Aye, it's dark as fuck, but every time she launches into the refrain I physically sigh at the prettiness.

Shane said...

Yeah, she does have a great voice. What are your other favorite songs by her? I really like Sylvia and a couple others, but I wasn't blown away by that many songs on this album or Ballads of Living and Dying. Maybe I should listen a few times more. I haven't listened to Little Hells yet.

Shane said...

Nice blog, btw! I'm a teacher as well. I'd love to teach abroad at some point.