David Bowie is the best thing ever. And of his seemingly endless supply of amazing songs, this might be my favorite. Might, dammit. Five Years, Queen Bitch, V-2 Schnieder, Station to Station, Heroes, they just never end. What a champ.So I've been reading all sorts of unintended meanings into this song for years now. My favorite interpretation was that he kept making the same mistake twice, or kept making the same types of mistakes. Turns out he wasn't speaking in metaphors, he was just totally hopped up on drugs, had just gone through a bad break-up, and was trying to off himself by racing his car round and round a parking garage. Like McNulty in that Wire episode (I've been waiting for so long to work a Wire reference in!).
The songs on Low and Heroes sound so super-charged, like the musicians' instruments are being electrocuted while they play them. And his enunciation in the second verse is so great! Especially when he sings, "Must have been touching close to 94". So amazing.
2 comments:
I love this song... and David Bowie. One of my favorite songs EVER is Under Pressure. I know that's trite, but it's a fantastic song and he has such an amazing voice. Plus when he sings that lyric, "Love dares us to care about people on the edge of the light..." Sigh, gets me every time.
Not trite at all! That song is so great. I love that line, too.
The vocals of Bowie and Freddie Mercury are amazing together.
Post a Comment