There are many drawbacks to being a music obsessive. Little things that really don't matter in the larger scheme of things really tend to annoy you. For instance, the fact that the "Corona" youtube says (Jackass theme) under the title. ACTUALLY, JACKASS, THIS SONG WAS WRITTEN ABOUT TWENTY YEARS BEFORE JACKASS, AND JACKASS DOESN'T EVEN PLAY D. BOON'S AMAZING VOCALS IN THE INTRO. See? Not really something I should be getting worked up about, but the caps almost lock by themselves. Anyway, this is one of the greatest, most inspiring bands ever. Their documentary "We Jam Econo," is both the Rocky and Steel Magnolias of band documentaries. Inspiring and depressing at the same time. Makes me want to run to my Ipod dock and scream, "I can jog all the way to Texas and back, but D. Boon can't!!!!!!!!!!!"
"Corona" is obviously a brilliant track, and it's actually awesome that it got such great exposure through Jackass. But man, I love those vocals. Combine his voice with lyrics like: "The people will survive - In their environment - The dirt, scarcity, and the emptiness - Of our South - The injustice of our greed - The practice we inherit - The dirt, scarcity and the emptiness - Of our South - There on the beach -I could see it in her eyes - I only had a Corona - Five cent deposit." I don't know, if there's any band I could get truly emo about, it's this one.
"Anchor" and "Glory of Man" (listen to that guitar - sounds like a buzzsaw) are two more killers, but honestly this band was like what Guided by Voices was fifteen years later. They could crap out great songs. Double Nickels on the Dime has 44 tracks, and I usually skip two of them. I heart the Minutemen.
2 comments:
The intrepid author of this blog introduced me to Minutemen five years ago and my iPod has never looked back. How many bands have songs about French Indo-China? One. That's how many.
I played that song one year as part of the intro for The Things They Carried. I love my job.
Post a Comment