Saturday, May 29, 2010

Bill Withers - Use Me & a scene from The Wire

!Spoiler-free post! I've resisted going into any depth about my Wire obsession on this blog, because at this point it's become very "Stuff White People Like" to jump on the "Wire is the Greatest Show Ever!" bandwagon. Well, there's a reason why this statement has become so tiresome and redundant, and that's because it is a correct opinion!

I first heard "Use Me" in the pilot episode of the Wire. It's the scene when D'Angelo Barksdale has just gotten out of jail, and he's talking to Avon and Stringer in the luxury suite of a club about what went wrong and got him in trouble. D'Angelo is such a great character, and it's an interesting beginning point for him considering how he evolves. I'm trying to keep it uber-vague for those who haven't seen the show. I'm getting giddy just writing about it. So amazing.

Beyond having three-dimensional characters, an intricate plot, yadda yadda yadda, there is amazing use of music in the show. I had heard the Withers classics like "Lean on Me" and "Ain't No Sunshine," but this song just came out of nowhere. It's so damn funky, between the keyboards, the acoustic guitar, Withers' soulful, masculine voice, and the ultra-cool drums. I love when everything but the drums and his vocals cut out during the chorus. The lyrics are also very clever and salacious in that special 70s way.

I'm posting both the studio version of the song and a great live performance. Below it is a completely non-spoiler Wire scene in which D'Angelo talks about The Great Gatsby.





No comments: