So my pathetic, depressing, laughable, second-class citizen New York Mets are actually playing pretty well! Of course this could be fleeting, but darnit, my love for them is permanent, etched in stone from the earliest days of childhood, so I'm going to enjoy every minute. And was there ever a moment on Friday! Johan Santana, the Mets ace pitcher who missed all of last year due to shoulder surgery, pitched the Mets' first ever no-hitter. I've heard for years about the Mets being one of only two organizations in MLB never to have pitched a no-hitter, and how they obviously should have had one by now because of all of the great pitchers they've had, and blah blah blah Yankees rule, Mets suck Victor Zambrano Oliver Perez September collapses Ponzi scheme SHUT UP OH MY GOD I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE. Whew. Deep breath. Some people aren't into baseball. They don't understand how the struggles of a franchise can affect a person. That's ok. I don't expect them to understand. But let me tell you something. IT HURTS. It hurts when everyone says, "Yankee this," and "Yankee that" all the time. What about our feelings? What about our needs? We're special, too! We've won two World Series, and participated in two others. Sure, that's nothing compared to your eighty-three or whatever, but you've been around since the Stone Age, and... uh... you suck! Remember the 80s?! We were awesome, and you guys blew! You were Don Mattingly and twenty-four guys named Kevin Maas. The most interesting thing you guys did for fifteen years was when Chuck Knoblauch had a schizoid break and couldn't throw to first base for about six months. Meanwhile, we were partying our asses off, winning a World Series, and partying our asses off some more. I know I've been using the word "we" when I have no real affiliation with the team. Screw you. Don't EVER forget that decade.
Ummm... so, this was supposed to be a happy post. I'm going to listen to some peaceful music to calm me down. Beach House has a new album out called Bloom. It has a cool cover, and though it's not a huge stylistic step forward from their last album, I really liked their last album, so it's all good. Not every band has to reinvent themselves every album. Beach House certainly wears its influences on its sleeves. In fact, they should probably paint their faces with Cochteau Twins album covers when they perform live. But, hey, I freaking love The Cochteau Twins, so once again, I'm fine with it. ARE YOU?! Man, you really need to chill out. I'm just listening to some Beach House over here. Sheesh.
"Myth" is a very Cocteau-influenced track, so I will post the incredible Cocteau Twins track "Lorelei" along with it. Listen to it incredibly loud in a small enclosed space, and the meaning of life will suddenly appear to you in the form of a periwinkle dove with satin wings. "The Hours" intro is incredibly reminiscent of the Beatles classic "Because," which is part of the second half of Abbey Road, the most unf*ckwithable thirty minutes or so of rock music ever committed to tape (or eight track, or stone tablet, or whatever they used back then).
No comments:
Post a Comment