Today is the first day of summer, and I'm giddy. The sun is out, the air is brisk, and there is nary an essay taunting me from the corner of my classroom. My mind is filled with books I want to read, things I want to write about, places I want to go, and concerts I want to see.
I feel like I lost a bit of the school-life balance this year, and as a result I haven't been exercising as much as I'd like to. I'd been thinking that I would just go back to jogging and playing tennis this summer to get back into shape, but as the fog of school lifts I'm realizing that, as a San Francisco resident, I have a plethora of exercising options available to choose from. I'll brainstorm here, and perhaps you can get some ideas as well:
-Jogging: Gotta have good music to listen to, or this is boring. And make the playlist at least somewhat upbeat, or the second an Elliot Smith song comes on it's all over.
-Tennis: Duh. Best sport ever.
-Swimming: Kind of tough to find a public pool in SF that isn't either half-filled with urine, or completely overrun with families (children are awesome, but I don't want to swim with them). If you can find the right pool, though, swimming is fun and great exercise!
-Hipster toss for distance: Hipsters usually only weigh about 83 pounds, and skinny jeans are easy to grip for maximum toss length. Tell them there's a free Neon Indian download in it for them and they'll be totally down.
-Rock climbing: A teacher friend, who's over forty yet could end me with two arms tied behind her back, does this a lot, so I'm intrigued. I'm also kinda scared of heights, though, so I'm slightly hesitant to try it out. Looks fun, though.
-Bicycling: I've been doing this a bit lately. My friends and I did a winery tour on bikes a few weeks ago, and that was fun, and today we also had a good time biking around Angel Island. If you live in a homely-looking place with brutal weather (like Florida [sorry]), then it's kinda awful, but if you live in a beautiful place with temperate weather (like SF) then it's pretty groovy.
-Bicep curls with a hardcover copy of James Joyce's Ulysses: This book should be read in a hip cafe, and the cover should be clearly visible at all times. This way people will know that you're an interesting person that reads challenging literature while simultaneously maintaining an impressive physique.
-Sailing: Umm... yeah. I don't know anything about this.
-Urban Hikes: Sounds kinda weird, but it's actually fun! Walking and exercise, without all that annoying nature stuff. Explore a great city, and enjoy some brutal hills at the same time!
- Frisbee Golf: Is this exercise? Whatever, it's outside, and you throw stuff. I've only done it once, but it was kinda fun. I drank beer, though, so I probably gained more calories than I burnt.
Any other options I left out? And please don't say the gym, cause that's already off the list. SO BORING.
The Weeknd is better at singing than he is spelling. "What You Need" has great, Burial-like production and a dark mood. I really dig his voice, and his woe-is-me-life-is-awful-being-super-hip-and-partying-with-beautiful-women lyrics remind me of some old Roxy Music songs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment