Thursday, June 14, 2012

Burial-Kindred

I've written before about how rare it is for me to go grocery shopping, but the mood struck me the other night at about 10:30 pm, as I noticed a Safeway on the drive back home from a friend's house. The conditions were perfect: I didn't need a lot of items, there was no access to hot bar, and some of the items I was purchasing were for a weekend party I was pretty excited about. I purchased the products within the allotted eight-minute window (think Supermarket Sweep without the free money), and made my way to the check-out line.

I bought around ten items, and had only one middle-aged woman in front of me in line. She had scraggly gray hair and those large glasses that kids used to wear for their school pictures in 1984. Behind the glasses her brown eyes darted about like there were snipers hidden behind every bag of Chex mix and jug of Tropicana. She had approximately twenty-five items with her-but she was only one person-how long could it possibly take? Well, as the cashier started to run her items, the lady slowly reached into her pockets. My mind flew in a dozen different directions. She's already got her purse out. What could she possibly need? Maybe she has some change in there. Surely she can't be reaching for... NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Coupons. She was reaching for coupons. At 10:30 at night, in an otherwise abandoned Safeway where I thought I was going to escape with a twelve to fifteen minute shop, I got stuck behind coupon lady. And I was starting to fear that this was a rare breed of coupon lady: batsh*t crazy coupon lady. She fumbled around with the coupons and asked the groggy-eyed cashier question after question. Did you run the coupons for the Yoplait? Does this Lean Cuisine coupon apply to all items, or just the Culinary Collection? What do you mean this Brawny paper towel coupon expired in 2010?

I felt kind of bad for her at first, cause she did seem bewildered and generally overwhelmed. A lady that came up behind me in line, though, had much less patience. While she wouldn't directly say anything, she sighed heavily, shifted her weight from side to side with dramatic flair, and rolled her eyes at me as if to say, "Can you believe this wack job?" I smiled thinly but quickly looked away, not wanting to form too intimate a bond with a lady wearing what seemed to be a discarded 1970s bridesmaid's dress, with eyebrows that looked like they were painted on with brown whiteboard markers.

It got really weird after the Brawny rejection. Crazy coupon lady argued for a bit-like she could win an argument about 2012 coming before 2010-then she started frantically swapping out items to try to get the total where she wanted it. She couldn't make up her mind, though, and her eyes blinked more uncontrollably the more confused she got. I really did feel bad, but after fifteen minutes, as the clock drew to eleven o'clock, I finally said something. "Ummm... there's people behind you," I offered as politely as possibly. She snapped her head at me and said, "IT'S MY TURN." Having the full force of those eyes focused on me is something I will never forget, but my words empowered Batty Bridesmaid behind me to let loose. "WE'VE BEEN WAITING HERE FOR TWENTY MINUTES. FIGURE OUT YOUR COUPONS LATER. IT'S ELEVEN O'CLOCK AT NIGHT. HAVE SOME RESPECT." I immediately let her have the stage, as I didn't know if this was going to quickly escalate into some sort of feral cat-fight. Thankfully, a cashier ran over and opened the next aisle, and I finally got out of there. Lesson: shopping at off hours might result in a shorter line, but the clientele is also more likely to be purchasing bath salts than the sodium kind.

I've posted about Burial before, but I can't help but do it again. He is just so damn great. If you have a short attention span like me, just put this song on in the background (on good speakers) and let it play all the way through. It's amazing.




No comments: